cuz who don't love em some foods?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Apple Cinnamon Ktastic-cakes

One thing I really enjoy about knowing how to cook--at least a little bit--is experimentation. Granted, I have far more failures than successes while experimenting, as evidenced by the scones I made on Friday.

I set out to make some cranberry-apricot scones because I like cranberries and apricots and especially scones. Unfortunately, I started mixing ingredients before I checked to see that I actually HAD all of the required ingredients. Sadly, I was about half a cup short on soymilk.

"A little water and oil will certainly do the trick!" I assured myself.

I, as you may have guessed, was sadly mistaken.

So, after serving a batch of oily, oily scones--and oh, I ate lots of those damn scones. I was really hungry--I knew I had to redeem myself somehow. Enter the old standby: pancakes.

My pancakes are a case of successful experimentation, however, as I am pretty sure they are the best damn pancakes I have ever made. They resulted from a combination of having already cooked pancakes too much for pancakes to be impressive and having a few apples lying around.

Also, this is probably the first recipe I ever made up on my own! Neat.

Apple Cinnamon Ktastic-cakes
-2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-2 tablespoon sugar

-2 tablespoon baking powder

-1 tablespoon vegetable oil

-1/4 teaspoon salt

-2 1/2 cups soy milk

-1/2 apple (I used Cripps Pink but I'd also recommend Pink Ladies or Gala)

-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

-1/2-3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Combine the dry ingredients, like you knew you were gonna have to do anyway.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix, but not too much. Some lumps are okay.
  • Chop up your apple. You could probably grate it, but my grater is MIA so I tend to just chop things up! Fold the chopped up apple into your pancake batter. Now it'll look super-lumpy and a little scary. Don't worry.
  • Heat a little oil in a frying pan over low-medium. It's the right temperature for pancake-cookin once you can sprinkle water droplets over it and they sizzle a bit.
  • There are two options for cooking your pancakes. Making bigger cakes results in mushy insides (which tastes great, don't get me wrong, it's actually a very pleasant texture) with a crisp outside. Smaller cakes cook more thoroughly but still have a nice, crisp exterior--almost cookie-ish. Personally I liked the little ones better, but it's good to experiment. So drop some batter in your pan according to how big you want 'em.
  • Flip the pancakes after the uncooked side starts to "bubble up." Cook both sides to a golden brown.
  • While you're going through the batch, you can keep your pancakes warm by throwing them in a 200F oven.

So there you have it: I made something up and it was actually GOOD. What a concept. You can slice up the other half of your apple for a delicious garnish and throw down some microwaved soysage, if you're REALLY going to get into the whole cooking breakfast thing. Which you know I am.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

hollywog said...

Kelly! I love your blog! I'm so going to link it to mine. I'm not sure if I gave you a link to it, www.onfoodandeating.blogspot.com is the address.

I was at the Central Florida Film Festival and saw a film called "Supercharge Me" about a woman who did raw food for 30 days to see what would happen. The opposite of "Supersize Me" It was BRILLIANT. And now it makes me think of you - even though it's one GIANT step further on the extreme-diet-restriction spectrum.
Okay. See you in class!

Douglas Henning Jr said...

Where are the new recipes? Like your blog btw.

Anonymous said...

arorab persian peppers speedy signalled historically burchfield being frequently brag thermo
lolikneri havaqatsu